In 1886 Mother M. Xavier Fallon, with five other sisters established the first Convent of Mercy in Hotham, as North Melbourne was then known, in a terrace house in Flemington Road opposite the Children’s Hospital.
In 1887, in response to parents’ requests to provide a “Select Day School for Young Ladies”, the Sisters started to teach French, Singing and Drawing to a few students – the first class of our school. In 1890 the sisters moved to the present site providing primary and secondary co-education. Sr. Gonzaga, who was Principal from 1920-1924, had a major influence on the growth and direction of the school. She changed the name to St Aloysius College, after her own patron saint and adopted his motto ‘Ad Altiora’. Primary classes were phased out in1952 to cater for a rapidly growing secondary sector. The historical development of the school can be linked to significant building programmes in the following years: 1901, 1924, 1941, 1956,1962, 1970, 1973, 1976 and 1995.
At present there are over 40 nationalities represented in the student population. In 2023 St Aloysius College proudly takes a bold step towards the future, becoming the first Catholic co-education secondary School within the vibrant, multi-cultural City of Melbourne. Co-education will commence with the first intake of Year 7 boys in 2023. Subsequent years will continue to welcome boys through the Year 7 intake until St Aloysius becomes fully co-educational towards the end of the decade in 2028.
Up to 70% of the annual Year 7 intake comes from North Melbourne, Kensington, Flemington, Ascot Vale, Footscray, West Brunswick and Moreland. The remaining 30% come from approximately 30 different parishes, some travelling long distances to attend the school of their choice.
The four House teams are named after significantly historical people, namely, Catherine McAuley – foundress, Mother Xavier Fallon – first Principal, Clare Scully – the first pupil of the College, Lucy Verdon – first female science graduate from Melbourne University.
Great emphasis is placed on the care and respect of each individual and this, together with its reputation for fostering high levels of achievement, makes the College an attractive alternative to students from a wide geographical region.
Academic programs at St Aloysius have been designed to encourage a lifelong enthusiasm for learning and discovery. The College has a curriculum that blends the very best of educational tradition with an innovative, enquiry-based cross-curricular approach that allows students to make connections, synthesise knowledge and develop literacy skills in a collaborative culture underpinned by a focus on the wellbeing of and respect for the individual.
Striving for excellence has always been part of the College tradition. In a culture cultivated by the individuality of each member of the community, there is no ‘typical’ St Aloysius Student. The College celebrate its diversity, accepts all, and thrives on the fusion of cultures and backgrounds that enable our students to flourish. The college is the thread that connects these vibrant, dedicated, and thoughtful young people, where the standard of academic achievement is consistently excellent, with approximately 95% of graduates proceeding to Tertiary Education each year.
St Aloysius recognises the very important role that social, cultural and physical wellbeing play in the learning, personal growth and development experienced by students during their six years of Secondary education. The St Aloysius curriculum is enriched and extended by a vast co-curricular offering that is alive to the needs and wishes of the students and evolves as they do; the program encompasses sport, camps and outdoor education, drama, music and various school-based wellbeing programs. Students have the opportunity to participate in a wide range of intra- and inter-school sporting competitions, creative and performing arts programs (including choir, orchestra, musical production) and social and cultural extensions including chess, debating and public speaking.The college has a global focus with sister schools in Milan, Italy and Kyoto, Japan that students are able to visit as part of their languages and arts studies.
There is great emphasis placed upon building confidence and leadership, and the curriculum is further enriched by a camp and outdoor education campus in Torquay, and a fully equipped gymnasium located in North Melbourne.
The College is centrally located with easy accessibility by train, tram and bus.
Commenced as Principal of St Aloysius College North Melbourne in January 2013
31 Curran Street, North Melbourne Victoria 3051